Unfortunately, I am an expert at not getting any rest. It started when I was pregnant. I would wake up at 2 or 3 a.m. and would not fall back asleep until it was time to get ready for work. I will admit, this week the homestead is a bit of a mess. I just don't have enough energy get everything done! Work is a beast and I am spent. So why am I still up???????????????????
Getting good rest is a tip I gave in 11 Ways to Eliminate Stress Naturally. I admit......this tip I rarely fulfill although I know the importance of it.
In the book Back to Eden the author lists ways to relax yourself before bed to ensure a better nights sleep and herbs that can assist.
The book Digestive Wellness (A Bunch of Papers Put Together for the Journey) also cites a set of herbs to enhance sleep:
- Valerian root
I will add lavender essential oil or a sleep sachet to the mix.
We give Caleb Chamomile tea almost every night before bed occasionally jazzed up with peppermint. During the months when sleep was really a luxury (do to the eczema woes) we tried giving him diluted Valerian root tea.
Both references site very similar tips on how to get a good night's sleep.
- One hour before bed, turn off all your gadgets (2)
- Go to bed at the same time each night (2)
- Don't push yourself to keep going after your steam levels have been depleted. Stop and rest! (1,2)
- Exercise during the day (1)
- Make sure your bed is just right (not too soft, not too hard) (1)
- Try to go to bed on an empty stomach ( I am guilty of late night snacking!!) (1)
- Purposefully relax your muscles, try deep breathing, listen to music or read a book (1, 2)
|This child is knocked out! This is my goal!|
So instead of pushing myself to the limit...eating snacks...getting aggravated at what has not been done yet...I AM GOING TO SLEEP TONIGHT! I will miss my favorite show....but there is always abc.com and Hulu!!
I must start doing what I know to be right concerning getting more quality rest. It's the only way for me be in my right mind, heal, and be effective during the day. I almost fell asleep on my keyboard today at work!!! Yikes!
I want to hear back from you! Do you have any "good night" tips? Please add them to the list!!
Peace and blessings!
References for this post:
1 - Back to Eden - Jethro Kloss
2 - Digestive Wellness - Elizabeth Lipski