|King of Banana Land|
Here is what I've learned about bananas:
1. Three medium sized bananas can provide the recommended daily allowance (RDA) for adult males of vitamin B6.
2. Bananas contain significant amounts of vitamins C, B1, B2, E and folate (also a B vitamin).
3. Besides potassium bananas are rich in magnesium and iron.
4. Insoluble and soluble fiber are found in this fruit that will keep you regular and help to lower cholesterol.
5. Small amounts of serotonin are present which nurtures the nervous system by inhibiting spinal cord pain and sedates nerves.
6. Bananas are an ideal fruit for people suffering from coronary disease and circulatory disorders. Diets high in potassium and low in sodium have been discovered to prevent hypertension and strokes.
7. Relief from diarrhea can be found in this fruit and can help soothe the digestive system for people with Celiac's disease.
8. Bananas alkalize the blood which can help neutralize and eliminate excess uric acid that cause arthritis and gout.
The best way to eat it is directly from its hygienic package (the skin). Fried bananas are pretty good too! But with most fruit the more heat is applied, the less goodies remain.
Even after my research I still will not let Caleb eat JUST a banana for breakfast. He must add protein, more minerals and goodness by adding chia porridge to the party. I posted about the benefits of chia last month (Chia is Red Hot). Caleb has been eating chia since he was 6 months old. He graduated from the blended up smooth version to what you see below:
|Chia porridge and bananas|
Today's porridge was made using nut, dairy and soy free milk. I blended up hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried apricots and coconut butter then added it to the dried chia seeds and let the seeds bloom for about 15 minutes. After blooming I added pro biotic and bananas. A breakfast for champions! My sweet champion!
Some people don't like bananas and prefer banana flavored candy. I can't stand any thing flavored banana except for the fruit itself! Now that I know how beneficial bananas are I feel better about Caleb's rate of consumption. LOL! But requesting it at 2am? A bit much!
Okay so...should Caleb get more than 2-3 bananas per day???
Peace and blessings!!
Reference for this post: The Encyclopedia of Foods and Their Healing Power - Dr. Pamplona-Roger