Monday, June 10, 2013

The Hair Journey: Dry Scalp Woes!

I've stated before that I have had issues with my scalp being flaky, dry and irritated.  I have pictures that show light spots on my forehead.  I've also used countless shampoos and conditioners or just ignored it and increased the amount of times I washed it in a week.  But I had a lot of hair and frequent washings were not practical or timely based on how I needed to style my hair to be presentable.  The funny thing is, some of it got better with out me really targeting the issue.  Maybe it was a change in body chemistry.........Sadly I ended up getting used to it.

Check out the light spots on my forehead

Well most recently I was enlightened to the fact that my scalp flakiness and light patches were not because I couldn't make up my mind on which pair of shoes to wear or what restaurant to go to for lunch.  I had scalp friends.....called Malassezia  a.k.a FUNGUS! Yuck!!! I feel like a big fungus after all my research on this topic. 

There is a particular type of fungus that most of us have on our skin (malassezia) and when the opportunity arises (body chemistry changes, etc.) it can begin to grow...and grow......and multiply...and just start having nightly parties.  Depending on what products you use or what you eat, you can promote or inhibit growth.  For years, I was promoting growth by feeding the fungus with the wrong hair care products (and maybe my diet too).

Now I know better...and thought I was doing better until the parties started again.  So now, I'm on a quest to kill the fungus on my scalp for good.  I want to clear this problem up for good especially with my hair being much shorter now.  It should be easier for me to increase the wash frequency and address the issue with out so much hair to deal with!

So far I've come across some natural remedies that I'm going to try, but I'm not sure what regime I need to employ for optimal benefits (i.e. calling the cops on the parties and stopping them for good).  

1. Apple cider vinegar
2. Tea tree oil
3. Coconut oil
4. Anti dandruff shampoos and conditioners
5. Black walnut and aloe vera

Today I  used a tea tree shampoo and conditioner, sprayed my scalp with black walnut/aloe vera mixture and applied tea tree oil to my scalp after the black walnut solution dried.


Dandruff....the result of fungal parties

I'm still on the prowl for a good fungus killing program.  If anybody out there has any suggestions please let me know.  Does anybody else have a scalp that looks like the pictures above?

I will not let this fungus define me....I am not FUNGUS! I just have it on my scalp! Ewwwww!

Peace and blessings!
 

2 comments:

  1. If the natural products don't work, will you try prescription? They are antifungals in liquid form. Maybe one of those would be applicable to your condition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kenya! Fortunately the natural products have worked! I have been dandruff free for weeks. I had a small episode when I wore my twists for more than 5 days. I have not been able to master the ACV rinse with twists yet. But so far so good! ACV is becoming a real pal!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts, comments or questions! We are on this Journey TOGETHER!