Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Hair Journey: Tress update

Hi Folks -

My natural tresses are progressing nicely!  I am liking...not loving the wash and go. For a while there I felt like Kunte Kente or a run away slave (relax folks)....it was hard to get use to my emerging curls! I was rocking that fade!!  Again, this is new territory and I'm embracing it!

Progress:


Side view....


I mentioned in an earlier post (The Hair Journey) that I've struggled with dandruff/dry scalp/ scalp fungus for years.  Since I've started growing my hair back I've been using aloe to take away the dryness.  It works!!! I use it 2 - 3 times per week.  I've also mixed it with slippery elm bark for extra moisture.

I apply it when my hair is wet and cover it with a shower cap.  I let it dry and style as desired in the morning.

I take the fresh aloe leaf, peel it,  and  blend it to a smooth consistency.  Love it!!!! I've also been using single oils on my hair: jojoba and grape seed.  The aloe moisture mix softens my hair and nourishes my scalp...I feel like I'm doing a commercial! :)

The curls are refined by using Taliah Wajid's curly curl crème.


Aloe + slippery elm moisture mix

Fresh aloe leaf

The good stuff!


The next steps are to:
  1. Consult my barber (who works with all types of natural hair styles and lengths) for more ideas
  2. Meet with a friend who's hair is a similar length to share ideas and products
  3. Keep it growing baby!

More to come!

Peace and blessings!!

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of home-made hair nourishment, but how can this be done economically? Slippery elm bark, jojoba oil, essence oils, etc, are pretty costly. We bought ingredients for a hair/scalp clay cleanser (http://youtu.be/ngX_ZdwQSk0). After doing the math the cost per ounce was comparable to an organic hair product :-/ How do you manage costs?

    -Taraja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Taraja! Your concerns are warranted but the rate at which you use all the ingredients are probably less than the rate you would use a store bought product. The essential oils can be expensive...but it takes a while to use them up (essential oils are so concentrated, you don't need to use that much at a time). I have the hook up on slippery elm bark so let me know when you need some. Fresh aloe leaf bought at an Asian market is about $2-3 a leaf...and it goes a long way. I've had the same jojoba oil in my cabinet for months (and I use it quite often). Take a look at the rate of use, and factor that in to the cost. You can also make some of your own oils by infusing herbs in olive or grape seed oil.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts, comments or questions! We are on this Journey TOGETHER!