Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The food journey

What do you think of when you hear food being called: NATURAL?  The FDA does not clearly define what natural is as it pretains to food.  Most food companies have their own definition of what "natural" is.  So depending on the product, the amount of natural colors, flavors, ingredients and packaging materials will vary.  The claim on the package will also vary.  Here are some you may have seen before:
  1. 100% all natural
  2. All natural flavors
  3. Made with natural colors
  4. 100% natural sweeteners
  5. All natural ingredients
The best thing to do is read the labels.  The less ingredients in the package...the better.  The best way to eat is whole food that has only been processed in  your home kitchen.  That's the best way to ensure something is: 100% NATURAL.

Since natural food products are on the rise, you can find a number of packaged items that are natural and actually good for you.  Reading labels is the key.  At my house we like: Garden of Eatin, Stacy's, Earth Balance, Daiya and others that I'll share later.

How much should you process or cook a food until it is not natural any more???  Hmmmm?

Raw food is about as natural as you can get....oh! Raw ORGANIC food...is about the closest food to nature you can eat.

Our kitchen cabinets have been converted from containing more processed foods to housing considerably less.  What's in our pantry right now?
  • dry beans (chick pea, lentils, black eyed peas)
  • rice
  • pasta
  • tons of spices
  • coconut flour
  • flax seeds
  • veggie chips
  • granola cereals
  • chia seeds
  • hemp seeds
  • a lot of herbal teas and essential oils
  • coconut butter and oil
  • molasses
  • sushi seaweed
  • Nutritional yeast flakes
We do alot of "scratch cooking" that has become a regular way of preparing meals.  Back to the kitchen house basics.  My husband recently got rid of our microwave....need I say more? Now I don't even miss it.

Now I'm learning about RAW cooking/preparing.  I will be attending a raw cooking class this Sunday 3/23/13.  I am VERY excited about it! More to come!!!

I've been eating 30 - 50% raw over the past two weeks.  I am as "regular" as I have EVER been! :) I know...TMI! But it's true! Our bodies are not meant to be taxed while digesting our food.  Food is to provide energy so we can perform our daily tasks...not give us the "itis"....



2 comments:

  1. This is really encouraging Zahra! I've been trying to introduce more raw food in my diet and just reading this has encouraged me to push harder....My eating habits have been shameful lately, thanks for sharing this blog...muy HELPFUL! :)
    Kevin Haynes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kevin! Glad this post was helpful! There will be more to come on RAW food and eating better. It's a struggle sometimes to eat properly. I ate a whole box of cookies last month...Mercy! Make sure you subscribe to see how my RAW food class goes!!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts, comments or questions! We are on this Journey TOGETHER!