Saturday, March 30, 2013

More papers put together for the Journey: Say What??

I started reading a book called: "Words that Hurt, Words that Heal" by Carole Mayhall.

Awesome book!

If you are trying to improve the relationships around you,  inside you and above you (God) this book is an eye opener.  It's all about communication and how powerful our tongues are.  Our speech can build up or break down people around us...even if we are un-aware of the impact.  This books calls you to examine the root of your words and encourages improvement for relationship sake. 

The tongue can be like a sword! It can cut people up!

So far I've read about: complaining, bragging/boasting,  encouraging speech, and having pop off lips i.e. talking out the side of your neck or not thinking before you speak.

I have not finished the book yet, but I wanted to share the knowledge.  So far, I'm enjoying it. 

I tend to have a quick, sassy  tongue.  I don't always think before I speak....so tonight at church I was internally "challenged" to not make a sassy retort to someone.  I was given a weird look and I had to explain that I was reading this book and trying to turn the negative behaviors into uplifting ones....I got no love...just jokes....but it's cool!

I have hurt those I cherish by what has come out of my mouth (and vice versa). So I know the despair hurtful words can bring.  Joking and shucking and jiving is one thing.  Hurtful words and behavior is another.

I also confess to being a Complaining Carrie when things did not meet my expectations. 

But I will press forward and work on filtering my sauciness to ensure I don't hurt anyone. Words are powerful!

Let's speak life, kindness, encouragement, and blessings upon each other.  Let's act in compassion and mercy.  That will go much further than deceitful speech, gossiping, degrading each other and complaining. 

I want my life to be a blessing to those around me...not a hindrance of any kind. I know this journey will get me there.

Are you hurting or healing with your words??




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, comments or questions! We are on this Journey TOGETHER!