Friday, December 27, 2013

Another great snack: Apple Chips!

We've all heard the saying: "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" right?  Here's another one: "Chips made of apples can keep inches off your hips".  Okay.  It doesn't really rhyme, but you get the point! :)

I made some apple chips last night that I am happy to share with you as another snacking alternative. This is my first time actually making them, but not my first time consuming them.  They are great for children as well. 

Check out how I made these delicious treats!

Step 1 - Gather all tools and ingredients.  Since this was my first attempt I only used two apples (red delicious).  Three are pictured, but one was rotten.  Other ingredients used: ground cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
 
 
 Step 2 - Remove the apple core.  I didn't have a fancy device.
 
 
Step 3 - Slice the apples using a mandolin (straight ,1/8 inch blade).  PLEASE BE CAREFUL.  The blades are super sharp.  I recommend using the veg/fruit holder.  The last time I used it I cut my fingers (not fun!).  Slicing 2 apples took 2 minutes and my slices were nice and even.
 


Step 4 - sprinkle spices onto apple slices for desired taste.  Use hands to coat evenly.  Note I did not measure anything...just sprinkled and tasted.  I only added spices to 1/2 of the slices just in case Caleb does not like the extra kick.
 
 
 
 Step 5 - place coated apple slices onto dehydrator trays starting at the bottom.

 
 
Step 6 - set dehydrator to 135 deg F (recommended for fruits and vegetables).  I kept the apples in the dehydrator for 18 hours.  Depending on the thickness of your slices and desired moisture level the timing could change.  I wanted thin, crisp chips so 18 hours was perfect!
 
 
 Step 7 - Remove chips from dehydrator
 
 
 
 Step 8 - Enjoy!


 
I hit a home run for my first attempt.  These chips are the bomb diggy!! :) This was so easy to do and totally healthy! Another guilt free snack!
 
Peace and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, comments or questions! We are on this Journey TOGETHER!