Monday, August 19, 2013

Twisted Sista...Mixed Chicks...Shea Moisture....what happened to Blue Magic?

It's still hair month on The Natural Journey For Life.  Today I want to talk about what YOU use to nourish your natural coils.  The hair care product industry is BOOMING and has been since before the days of Annie Turnbo Malone and Madame CJ Walker.  These women created hair care empires that reached the homes of millions of black women who just wanted to feel good about their hair in the early 1900s.  I don't care what texture or ethnic background you have.  Hair care products are important and most of us will spend LOTS of money to make sure our hair is looking good.  I think the Jheri Curl of 1980s fame was the highest grossing hair style ever....all the products needed to keep those curls juiced up could do serious damage to your pocket book!! Millions of dollars were spent on maintaining The Curl. 

From the big brands like Tresemme to the niche brands like Mixed Chicks, there is something out there to suit everyone's needs.  From shampoo to curling smoothies to reconstructive serums, you can find it.  Ever been in a beauty supply store?  If you don't know what you are looking for it's easy to get lost in the wide array of products. The survey results definitely support my personal hair care product exploration. Some products use all natural ingredients and some don't.  I try to use all natural products as much as possible.

Here's what the lovely ladies that spilled their hair guts use:

1. Entwine
2. Oyin Handmade Products
3. Biolage
4. Shea Moisture
5. Olive Oil Black Jamaican Castor Oil
6. Echo Styler gel
7. Kinky Curly Knot Today
8. Liquefied Raw Black soap
9. Flax seed gel
10. Oils mixed with raw shea butter
11. Aloe vera
12. Apple Cider Vinegar
13. Home made products
 

Entwine products

Kinky Curly Knot Today
Apple Cider Vineagr (ACV)
What happened to  Blue Magic?? None of the ladies said they were using this anymore!
 
 
On my new hair journey these are the products I've used:
  • Kinky Curly Knot Today (shampoo and conditioner)
  • Tahlia Waajid curling crème (for enhancing my curl pattern)
  • Dr. Miracle (for scalp treatment)
  • Aloe vera gel (for conditioning and moisture)
  • Apple Cider Vinegar (for scalp cleansing)
  • A host of oils (tea tree, jojoba, grape seed, rosemary, eucalyptus, coconut)
  • Shea butter (for locking in moisture)
  • And most recently Beautiful Curls Shea Butter gel (for enhancing my curl pattern).  It was just okay.  My curls were defined, but a white flakiness appeared after my hair dried and my curls were hard.  By far Tahlia Waajid's curly curl crème is my favorite.
  • I used the Shea Moisture curling smoothie when I had longer hair and didn't like it.
I like making my own products which tends to be more cost effective.

What are YOU using on your hair?

Peace and blessings!
 

2 comments:

  1. Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie, Black Jamaican Castor Oil for scalp, Olive Oil. Shea Moisture Shampoo and Conditionor. Kuzee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your products Kuzee!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts, comments or questions! We are on this Journey TOGETHER!