Monday, August 26, 2013

The Hair Journey: Tress Update #7 - Curls and Hawks

Hi Folks! 

Today I'm going to share two looks with you. 1) wash and go curls using a new product and 2) my expanding faux hawk!

The curls:
I decided to start exploring more curl enhancing products.  This weekend I tried Kinky Curly curling custard.  It was $10.99 at Target.



The instructions on the jar for thick coarse hair (which is what I have) said to apply the custard when my hair was dripping wet.  So I did.  I'm not sure how much I was supposed to apply but I added a generous amount to sections of my dripping wet hair.  After applying it was white and pasty.  A few hours later it began to dry.....this is the result:



The Curling Custard Review:
I liked the curl pattern the custard  gave me.  My curls were defined and did not get hard. They were also more defined and smaller than when I used the Shea Moisture curling smoothie.  But 6 hours after application, it was still wet and goopy.  12 hours after application, it was STILL wet! I mean it was drier than 6 hours earlier, but still wet.   I didn't like that part.  Maybe I used too much....And that's the tricky part, making sure you use the optimal amount of product for your particular hair texture and length. 

I will try this product again and change the amount I use and see what result I get.  If my hair stays goopy for more than 3 hours...I'ma have to call it quits on the curly custard.


The expanding faux-hawk:
After my goopy curl experience I decided to rock my Flo fro for the rest of the weekend.  I added some flat twists this morning (which took 8 minutes) and was SO excited about my hair expansion!!!!! The pictures below compare the faux hawk I was rocking in June with this month! Wow!! See the growth? I'm even having a hard time picking it out and patting it smooth!

 
Faux hawk in June 2013
 
Faux hawk in August 2013

Yaaay growth!!!!!!!!! My flat twisting skills have also improved!! :)
I rocked the expanded version with pride at work today!  I'm getting out of my comfort zone...but you must admit this look, although a little edgy, is still very neat and work appropriate! :)

What do you think??


Peace and blessings!