Monday, August 26, 2013

The Hair Journey: Tress Update #7 - Curls and Hawks

Hi Folks! 

Today I'm going to share two looks with you. 1) wash and go curls using a new product and 2) my expanding faux hawk!

The curls:
I decided to start exploring more curl enhancing products.  This weekend I tried Kinky Curly curling custard.  It was $10.99 at Target.



The instructions on the jar for thick coarse hair (which is what I have) said to apply the custard when my hair was dripping wet.  So I did.  I'm not sure how much I was supposed to apply but I added a generous amount to sections of my dripping wet hair.  After applying it was white and pasty.  A few hours later it began to dry.....this is the result:



The Curling Custard Review:
I liked the curl pattern the custard  gave me.  My curls were defined and did not get hard. They were also more defined and smaller than when I used the Shea Moisture curling smoothie.  But 6 hours after application, it was still wet and goopy.  12 hours after application, it was STILL wet! I mean it was drier than 6 hours earlier, but still wet.   I didn't like that part.  Maybe I used too much....And that's the tricky part, making sure you use the optimal amount of product for your particular hair texture and length. 

I will try this product again and change the amount I use and see what result I get.  If my hair stays goopy for more than 3 hours...I'ma have to call it quits on the curly custard.


The expanding faux-hawk:
After my goopy curl experience I decided to rock my Flo fro for the rest of the weekend.  I added some flat twists this morning (which took 8 minutes) and was SO excited about my hair expansion!!!!! The pictures below compare the faux hawk I was rocking in June with this month! Wow!! See the growth? I'm even having a hard time picking it out and patting it smooth!

 
Faux hawk in June 2013
 
Faux hawk in August 2013

Yaaay growth!!!!!!!!! My flat twisting skills have also improved!! :)
I rocked the expanded version with pride at work today!  I'm getting out of my comfort zone...but you must admit this look, although a little edgy, is still very neat and work appropriate! :)

What do you think??


Peace and blessings!

4 comments:

  1. The Kinky Curly Custard did not work for me. I tried it two years ago, it may work now, but when my hair dried it dried into a huge frizzy fro. Can you say horriffic! That's when I realized I needed thick creamy curling products for my hair. Not sure why your hair didn't dry. That sounds like a personal problem. Did you do a remake of the curl from the 1980's? LOLOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Akua! Yes...I suppose it is a personal problem and drives home the point of how the same product can behave VERY differently with multiple hair textures! I'll try it one more time and see what happens!! I would love to create a homemade curl enhancer...hmmmm.....I have to think about that one!

      Delete
  2. Akua, I also had mixed results. The Kinky Curly detangler works for me better. But, I am loving Twisted Sista right now. I can't flat twist to save my life. SMH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny - Maybe Twisted Sista will be my next experiment!! Flat twists so take time to get right...based on your texture, you may want to try thicker ones and see what happens.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts, comments or questions! We are on this Journey TOGETHER!