Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Curly Custard Review: Wet, Fluffy and Wierd.....

Hi Folks!

The wash and go is an easy style to master......except when your curl enhancing product of choice does not get along with your hair.  I decided to try a  new curl enhancer a few weeks ago.  I liked the curl pattern it gave me, but not the texture, and it took over 24 hours to dry.  So I decided to try it again...and again....to give it a fair shot. 

The Kinky Curly brand has a curling custard that I've spent some time with.  The bottom line is this:  I DO NOT LIKE IT.  I really don't think it's for my type of hair.




Last week when I used it, I didn't apply enough, so my hair was a frizzy, Django unchained mess.  It took up to 9 hours to dry and I felt like people were looking at me thinking:  "Now you know she don't have friends walking around here like that.....Nobody told her that head was a mess?" 

I didn't document my Django experience with photos, but the hubby did ask:  "what's going on with that?!"  I had to agree that I looked a fright, but I didn't have time to fix it...duty called! So I spent the day looking crazy!

Today I decided to give it one more try.....Here is the result:

3 hours after application....my hair is very goopy and slimy

No...those are not beads of dew peppering my curls...it's the curly custard that is hanging out.  Observe the fluffy nature of my hair...not cute.  Not feeling cute right now...

Yuck! Too much goop!

6 hours after application....Feeling like I have on a helmet....or that I belong in the cast of Fraggle Rock.

Note the curly custard droplets....still good and fluffy....

This is going to be a long day..........
12 hours later....my hair is still wet, but the volume is actually decreasing.  The curls are more firm and tight.

The goopy texture is STILL there...and no... those shiny spots are not dew drops...it's still custard.

The curl pattern HAS improved...but now it's time to retire for the evening....so I spent the day looking like Fraggle Rock and now the curls want to get cute.

I'm not pleased with this product....too goopy, sticky and tacky to the touch plus....it takes too long to dry.....it's definitely not for me.



This custard is not for me. I'm sure it works well for other folks...but I'ma have to put this one on the shelf.  If I use it again it will be for a twist out.  I've seen YouTube videos where this product was used for adding rigidity to twist outs. This product may be PERFECT for you....but I've tried it three times and the wash and go style is definitely OUT for me.  The funny thing is that I got two compliments on my hair today............I was stunned.  To me I looked a hot mess.....but beauty is in the of the beholder.......

Time to explore other options! Stay tuned!
 
Let me know what your experience has been with this product. I would love to see pictures and hear back from you!
 
 
Peace and blessings!
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Zazee!! This was so funny. Keep trying new stuff. I am going to try Eden Works $8.99 at walmart. I tried doing my hair with that brush when i did my wash and go. it worked pretty well. not sure if i have the right brush but anyway i saw a difference. My parting words are "NO MORE JEHRI CURLS, NO MORE JEHRI CULRS!!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least a Jehri curl would dry at some point.....I am going to be trying the Just As I am Curling Cream next. I purchased it today (on sale)! I'll keep you informed of how it works out. I've heard good things about Eden Body Works. Let me know how it turns out! :)

      Delete
  2. Crazy faces.....silly but funny.. I have a Jar of that stuff just sitting here/hair lol My hair I see is not going to be the wash and go type....still transitioning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sugar Love Designs! I love it: "just sitting here/hair"!! LOL! You should try it after your transition period and see what it does to your hair...it may be a good styling aide. So how's the transition going? What are you doing to cope?

      Delete
  3. Transitioning is going ok..trying different things...Reading a lot of blogs like this one :-) motivates me to continue

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts, comments or questions! We are on this Journey TOGETHER!