- The liver performs over 500 functions
- It is critical to metabolism of carbs, fats and proteins
- It weighs approximately 4 pounds
- It can manufacture 13,000 chemicals and has 2,000 enzyme systems
- The liver can break down hormones like cholesterol, testosterone and estrogens
- It processes all food, nutrients, alcohol, drugs and anything else that enters the bloodstream by letting them pass, breaking them down or by storing them.
- The liver breaks down toxins ingested with our food. But if the liver becomes too congested to enzymatically process nutrients we cannot get the benefit from eating nutritious food.
Foods/practices that are compatible with the liver:
- Drink lots of water (include lemon)
- Fresh vegetable and fruit juices - especially carrot and beet juices
- Raw foods (no preservatives)
- Fresh fruits and vegetables (apples, celery, asparagus, prunes)
- Spices such as ginger, turmeric, rosemary and licorice
- Regular bowel movements
- Processed and imitation food
- Low protein, high fat diet (which include fried foods and saturated fats)
- Excessive alcohol use, drugs, tobacco and caffeine
- Insecticides, preservatives and other toxins
I'm so excited about finally detoxing my liver. I'm a bit scared about what is going to happen during the actual flush since my liver hasn't been "cleaned" almost 35 years! I think I'll go into seclusion that week! Have mercy!
I want to encourage you to start thinking of ways to live a healthier life. You don't have to give up anything....just start ADDING the good stuff like: more water, more fruit, more exercise, etc. By the time you know it, your body will be so full of goodies, it won't have room for any junk. Note: this little pep talk is for me too!!
This week, think of ways to increase your water intake. Just water....your liver will thank you for it! Tell me how it goes!! :)
Peace and love!
1 - Digestive Wellness - Elizabeth Lipski
2- Natural Remedies Encyclopedia - Vance Ferrell and Harold Herne, M.D.