Summer time has hit with a vengeance and my favorite fruit to eat, and what I yearn for every summer, is WATERMELON!
I love watermelon. It's the most refreshing, filling, enjoyable fruit that has come into my life. Nice, cold, sweet, watermelon! Does anyone else drink the leftover juice in the bowl??? That's my favorite part! Although I do not use a "method" to pick my watermelons (thumping, smelling, etc.), 90% of the time I get a pretty good one. I love the kind that has slightly mealy pulp, sweet flavor, good color and less than a 1/4 inch of rind.
A few years ago we tried to grow some in our garden. Watching them grow was like going to a theme park for me! It was amazing to see the growth process (see below).
|Watermelon emerging from the vine|
|Starting to take shape. mmmm good!|
Here are some other facts about watermelon:
1. It can remove toxins from the blood.
2. It should be eaten between meals - not right after because the water content can affect digestion.
3. It can be tolerated well by diabetics due to it's low sugar content (but it tastes so sweet!).
4. It can help fight urinary conditions such as kidney stones.
5. Eating watermelon is a good way to loose weight. It fills you up and satisfies cravings for something sweet.
Here are some links to juices and smoothies that contain watermelon:
1. Summer Hydration juice
2. Watermelon Plum smoothie
3. Watermelon Cilantro juice
So, eat up and drink up this summer season......I know I will! Most melons in the US are grown in the Southern states and are a watermelon lover's DREAM! Watermelon is Caleb approved and a good way for him to hydrate, especially the days where he refuses to drink pure water.
May I have more watermelon please??
What is your favorite summer fruit?